Updated: Apr 2, 2018
Customers are spending more time on research before buying. An Expedia study showed that customers visited 38 different websites before making a purchasing. Are your customers leaving for your competitor's website? Then remarketing can help reinforce your marketing message and win back your customers.
How does Google Remarketing Work?
When people visit your website, they can be added to a remarketing list through their browser cookies. When these visitors browse other websites (even your competitors' websites), Google Display Network will show them your targeted remarketing advertisement with a link back to your website.
The remarketing ads are managed in Google AdWords and can be in text or image formats. The remarketing ads can be generic to your brand or product specific. Remarketing campaigns are ideal for competitive products and services that have a longer sales process (e.g. insurance or buying a car). A well designed and executed remarketing plan, it can be a powerful tool to generate sales leads and increase conversions.
What are the Benefits of Remarketing?
Remarketing allows marketers to effectively reach prospects through targeted marketing messages and increase sales leads.
1. Buying intent. Prospects in remarketing lists are conducting research before making a purchase decision. Retargeting potential customers at this crucial moment can increase sales leads. In many cases, click through rates can be 2 to 3 times higher for remarketing campaigns compared to other marketing campaigns.
2. More cost effective. Keeping your brand at the top of customers' minds will increase conversion rates, give you higher return on investment (ROI) and lower cost per sales. Refine your remarketing campaign with contextual targeting, frequency caps and conversion filtering to make them more targeted and effective.
3. Create targeted campaigns with customers' interests, demographics and behavior. Remarketing campaigns are versatile, you can show different ad copies to different segments of customers.
All Visitors. Anyone who visited your website.
Conversion Abandoners. Users who added products to the shopping cart, but did not check out.
General Visitors. Visitors who saw product categories.
Past converters. Customers who made a purchase.
Product or Service. Visitors who viewed a specific product or service.
Searchers. Users who used search engine on the website.
4. Achieve large-scale reach with Google Display Network. You can reach potential customers on your remarketing lists as they browse over 2 million websites and mobile apps in the network.
5. Track the performance of your remarketing campaigns with Google AdWords analytics tool. The analytics tool shows where and when your remarketing ads are displayed, click through rates and bid prices.
There are two forms of remarketing; Standard vs Dynamic remarketing. In Standard remarketing, target audience is shown a generic ad while dynamic remarketing shows customized, product specific ads to target audiences. From these two categories, there are 7 different types of remarketing campaigns.
Site Targeting. Showing ads to people who have visited your site.
Email Retargeting. Showing ads to subscribers who have opened your emails.
Social Media Retargeting. Displays ads on social media to visitors of your site.
Remarketing Lists. Targeting past visitors with ads when they make another search.
Search Retargeting. Showing ads to users who have searched for relevant keywords but have never visited your site.
Video Remarketing. Targeting visitors of your videos or YouTube channel by showing ads when they browse other videos or websites.
Mobile Remarketing. Showing ads to visitors of mobile app or mobile website as the use other mobile apps or browse other mobile websites.
How to Create Effective Remarketing Ads?
Design ads that are relevant to what your customers are looking for
Include a promotion good enough to entice visitors back to your website. For example, “Get 50% off if you buy now!”
Add a clear Call-To-Action to get visitors to click through to your website. For example, “Order Today!”
To build brand awareness, run ads over a period weeks or months. And use analytics to track conversion rates.
Other Factors to Consider
Remarketing lists must have a minimum of 100 active visitors within the last 30 days before your campaign becomes active. Remarketing only works if you have traffic to your website. If you have just launched your website, read our articles on Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing to learn how to drive website traffic.
You can turn on and off remarketing lists by changing the list status from open to closed. This means that AdWords will stop adding new people into your list. Inactive lists will be automatically closed after 540 days.
Use some AdWords features to customize your campaigns. Including membership period (cookies in remarketing list), limit number of ads per day per individual and blocking of ads on certain websites.
With up to 70% higher conversion rates, remarketing should be in every marketer's toolkit (from Adobe). Start your remarketing campaign today, show targeted ads to your customers and drive traffic back to your website.
Vorbly | Marketing Made Easy
Remarketing Solutions For Small Businesses
Recommended Article: A Beginner's Guide To Search Engine Marketing