Updated: Apr 2, 2018
Designed a beautiful website but you can't seem to drive website traffic? Then you need to start a business blog as part of your content marketing strategy.
When done well, blogging has many benefits including driving website traffic, improving website ranking and becoming an industry thought leader. Creating a blog also helps to build trust, engage and influence the buying decision of your customers. A Hubspot survey revealed that 47% of buyers read 3 to 5 articles before making a purchase.
With so many benefits, it’s not surprising that business blogs are gaining popularity as a tool for content marketing. In 2016, 36% of Fortune 500 companies have public blogs (from statista). And around 65% of marketers plan to increase their use of blogging in 2017 (from Social Media Examiner).
How to Write Your Business Blog?
1. Develop a clear purpose for your blog. Is your blog created for brand awareness? Or to generate sales referrals or leads? Your purposes will determine how the blog posts are written and what information is included.
2. Use SEO-friendly blog templates from WordPress, blogger, tumblr, weebly, Medium, ghost, Drupal or Joomla. Most of these blog sites offer free blog templates that are SEO optimized which allows search engines to easily find, index and rank your blog.
3. Do your research. Understand market trends, problems affecting your target market, new products and current affairs discussions. Use Google Trends to understand recent search activities, read other blogs, engage in discussions with industry peers, ask clients directly and talk to your sales team.
4. Content writing. Create unique, fresh and quality content to attract visitors. Look for different angles, give contrarian views or present something entertaining. Relevant and quality blog content will strengthen your content strategy and results in higher website ranking. Read our article to learn effective content writing skills.
5. Write eye-catching titles. Start your titles with phrases like “How to”, “Top 10 lists”, “Easy Ways to…”, “Debunking” and “Myth-busting”. Write informational blog posts, guides, lists and deliver on your title promise.
6. Keep your blog posts concise. Studies have shown that readers have shorter attention and the average word count should be between 1,140 to 1,285 words for each blog post (from searchmetrics).
7. Use images, photographs, infographics. Blog posts that include images have 6.5 times higher engagement than text only posts (from inc). You can reduce marketing costs by using free images, photos and infographics from websites such as freepik and pexels.
Infographics from freepik.
8. Develop your voice. Be consistent in the way you write your blog (e.g. formal or casual tone). If you engage guest bloggers, set clear and detailed content guidelines to follow. For SEO optimization, write blog posts for human readers and then re-write for search engines (e.g. including keywords).
9. Post frequently. Your blog content should be updated frequently to drive website traffic. Ideally, you should strive to write and post more than 20 blog posts per month. But if you have resource constraints, the minimum should be 7 blog posts per month.
10. Linking to your website. Remember to link your blog posts to your website. Harness the power of social media by directing website traffic to your business blog. Get referrals by commenting on other blogs and linking back to your website. Research has shown that companies who blog receive 97% more links to their website (from Hubspot).
11. Promote user generated content. Utilize user generated content by enabling comments on your blog and allowing guest posts. Not only will it increase diversity in your content but also engagement with your prospects.
12. Use relevant keywords. With any SEO strategy, using the right keywords in your titles and content is important for Search Engine PageRank. Relevant keywords help search engines to read and categorize your content and present it during search queries.
13. Having a distribution strategy. Writing a great blog post that no one can find is the best kept secret. Increase your reach and distribute your posts via social media, external links, pinging or submitting your blog. Pinging helps notify servers that your blog has been updated so that they can index and publish your content.
14. Develop a list of blog posts. Having a list of pending blog titles and topics will create a pipeline of articles that you can write on a regular basis.
15. Create a blogging schedule. Get into a routine of when to write and post on your blog. Use Google Analytics to understand when visitors read your posts and post during those times.
Start blogging today! Build a content marketing strategy with your business blog and effective SEO techniques and you will be able to drive website traffic, attract prospects and build trust with existing customers.
Vorbly | Marketing Made Easy
Content Marketing Solutions For Small Businesses
Recommended Article: How To Create An Effective Content Marketing Strategy?